Some say that finding true love, getting married, and starting a family is the real meaning of life. And while that’s a subjective matter, there’s no doubt that marriage, with all its obstacles, ups and downs, and happy and sad moments, is a manifest of the love between two people. I believe that with all my heart; however, sometimes I need a little reminder, and that’s when I google quotes about marriage.
Inspirational, full of wisdom, and downright beautiful, these quotes always make me forget my worries and remember truths about marriage and family, which are easily lost in the monotonousness of everyday life.
That’s why I decided to share 17 of my favorite quotes about marriage that will surely remind you of how beautiful life is when you share it with a loved one!
Beautiful Quotes About Marriage That Will Put a Smile on Your Face
Thoughtful Quotes About Marriage
1. “If you want something to last forever, you treat it differently. You shield it and protect it. You never abuse it. You don’t expose it to the elements. You don’t make it common or ordinary. If it ever becomes tarnished, you lovingly polish it until it gleams like new. It becomes special because you have made it so, and it grows more beautiful and precious as time goes by.” — F. Burton Howard
2. “Happiness [is] only real when shared.” ― Jon Krakauer
3. “An eternal marriage is eternal. Eternal implies continuing growth and improvement. It means that man and wife will honestly try to perfect themselves. It means that the marriage relationship is not to be frivolously discarded at the first sign of disagreement or when times get hard. It signifies that love will grow stronger with time and that it extends beyond the grave. It means that each partner will be blessed with the company of the other partner forever and that problems and differences might as well be resolved because they are not going to go away. Eternal signifies repentance, forgiveness, long-suffering, patience, hope, charity, love, and humility. All of these things are involved in anything that is eternal, and surely we must learn and practice them if we intend to claim an eternal marriage.” ― F. Burton Howard
4. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” ― Lao Tzu
5. “A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.” ― Ruth Bell Graham
6. “No long-term marriage is made easily, and there have been times when I’ve been so angry or so hurt that I thought my love would never recover. And then, in the midst of near despair, something has happened beneath the surface. A bright little flashing fish of hope has flicked silver fins and the water is bright and suddenly I am returned to a state of love again — till next time. I’ve learned that there will always be a next time, and that I will submerge in darkness and misery, but that I won’t stay submerged. And each time something has been learned under the waters; something has been gained; and a new kind of love has grown. The best I can ask for is that this love, which has been built on countless failures, will continue to grow. I can say no more than that this is mystery, and gift, and that somehow or other, through grace, our failures can be redeemed and blessed.” ― Madeleine L’Engle
Quotes About Marriage Every Man Should Read
7. “When a man can listen to a woman’s feelings without getting angry and frustrated, he gives her a wonderful gift. He makes it safe for her to express herself. The more she is able to express herself, the more she feels heard and understood, and the more she is able to give a man the loving trust, acceptance, appreciation, admiration, approval, and encouragement that he needs.” — John Gray
8. “A woman becomes a reflection of how you treat her. If you don’t like how she’s acting, look at how you are treating her.” — Unknown
9. “When in a relationship, a real man doesn’t make his woman jealous of others, he makes others jealous of his woman.” ― Steve Maraboli
Quotes About Marriage Every Woman Should Read
10. “Aim high, but do not aim so high that you totally miss the target. What really matters is that he will love you, that he will respect you, that he will honor you, that he will be absolutely true to you, that he will give you the freedom of expression and let you fly in the development of your own talents. He is not going to be perfect, but if he is kind and thoughtful, if he knows how to work and earn a living, if he is honest and full of faith, the chances are you will not go wrong, that you will be immensely happy.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley
11. “I feel good with my husband: I like his warmth and his bigness and his being-there and his making and his jokes and stories and what he reads and how he likes fishing and walks and pigs and foxes and little animals and is honest and not vain or fame-crazy and how he shows his gladness for what I cook him and joy for when I make him something, a poem or a cake, and how he is troubled when I am unhappy and wants to do anything so I can fight out my soul-battles and grow up with courage and a philosophical ease. I love his good smell and his body that fits with mine as if they were made in the same body-shop to do just that. What is only pieces, doled out here and there to this boy and that boy, that made me like pieces of them, is all jammed together in my husband. So I don’t want to look around any more: I don’t need to look around for anything.” ― Sylvia Plath
12. “It is a foolish woman who expects her husband to be to her that which only Jesus Christ Himself can be: always ready to forgive, totally understanding, unendingly patient, invariably tender and loving, unfailing in every area, anticipating every need, and making more than adequate provision. Such expectations put a man under an impossible strain.” ― Ruth Bell Graham
Sarcastic Quotes About Marriage That Will Make You Laugh
13. “And she’s got brains enough for two, which is the exact quantity the girl who marries you will need.” ― P.G. Wodehouse
14. “Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.” ― Katharine Hepburn
15. “By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” ― Socrates
16. “Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. There’s no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere.” ― Groucho Marx
17. “An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets, the more interested he is in her.” ― Agatha Christie
Marriage is like two people balancing on a rope; if one of them falls, the other one is likely to follow them. It takes loads of patience, tolerance, strength, and most importantly — unconditional love not to fall. Whenever you feel like letting go and jumping, however, you can always come back to this list of quotes about marriage. They will remind you that no matter what hardships you face, it’s all worth it in the end!